1. Preheat the oven to 425oF.
2. Combine the quinoa, lentils, seasoning blend, and oats in a medium saucepan with 3 ½ cups water. Bring to a rapid simmer; then add the scallions, curry powder, cumin, and paprika as the water is heating up.
3. Simmer gently until the water is absorbed and the quinoa and lentils are done, about 15 minutes. Stir in the cilantro, then season with red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Stir in the olive oil if desired for a little added richness.
4. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Coat the inside of a round 1/2-cup measuring cup with a little olive oil. Grab a level scoop of the quinoa mixture; invert it onto the parchment, and give the bottom a sharp tap to release it. Using the bottom of the measuring cup, flatten the quinoa mixture into a 1/2-inch-thick patty. Repeat with the remaining quinoa mixture; you should wind up with 8 patties.
5. If you don’t have a round 1/2-cup measuring cup, you can improvise by using any sort of 1/2-cup measure and shaping the mounds into burgers once they’re on the parchment paper.
6. Bake for 15 minutes, then carefully flip each burger and bake an additional 15 minutes, or until golden and firm on each side. Remove from the oven and serve the burgers on their own or with the bread of your choice.
Per Burger: Calories: 130; Total fat: 1g; Protein: 6g; Carbohydrates: 24g; Fiber: 3g; Sodium: 20mg
Excerpted from Plant Power: Transform Your Kitchen, Plate, and Life With More Than 150 Fresh and Flavorful Vegan Recipes by Nava Atlas with permission by HarperOne, an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers. Copyright 2014.