1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
2. Make a bed in the roasting pan with the vegetables and pour in the water. Be sure to check the liquid level in the pan occasionally and add water, if necessary. You will need this liquid to make an au jus. Place the roast on top of the vegetables and place into the hot oven. Roast at 450 degrees for 40 minutes.
3. After the 40 minutes, reduce the heat to 275 degrees and continue to roast for about another 2 hours, or until internal temperature reaches 130 degrees. Remove from the oven, remove from the pan, and allow to rest before slicing while making the au jus.
4. Strain the dripping from the pan, and then skim the fat from the drippings. Place the roasting pan over 2 burners, heat on medium high and add in the drippings. Stir to deglaze, add in the wine and the beef stock and reduce by 1/3, about 5 minutes on a steady boil, stirring occasionally.
5. Turn off the heat, season to taste, with salt and pepper. Strain once more into your serving vessel.