1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a food processor fitted with the shredding disk, shred potatoes and onion, using medium pressure. Transfer vegetables to a large colander set in the sink or over a large bowl; press firmly to drain excess liquid.
3. Place drained veggies into a large bowl. Add eggs, potato starch, baking powder, salt and pepper. Mix well.
4. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Working in batches, drop large spoonfuls of batter into hot oil to form pancakes, flattening them slightly with the back of the spoon. Do not crowd the skillet. Fry for 3-4 minutes per side, or until crisp and golden.
5. Drain well on paper towels. Transfer to prepared baking sheet; place into oven to keep warm.
Norene’s Notes - Freeze with Ease: Arrange latkes in a single layer on a baking sheet; freeze until firm. Transfer to resealable plastic bags, press out all air, and freeze. To reheat, place frozen latkes onto a large baking sheet. Bake, uncovered, at 400 degrees F for 12-15 minutes, until hot and crisp.
Note: Do not freeze toppings!
Sour Cream Topping 2 Ways
1. In a medium bowl, combine sour cream with lemon juice, parsley (if using pomegranate seeds) or dill (if using smoked salmon) and pepper; mix well.
2. Top latkes; add pomegranate seeds (if using parsley) or smoked salmon (if using dill).
1. Add topping ingredients to medium bowl; mix to combine. Use as a topping for latkes.
1. Add topping ingredients to medium bowl; mix to combine. Place plastic wrap directly onto mixture to prevent darkening.
2. Right before serving, top latkes with avocado mixture.
Reprinted from “Silver Platter Simple Elegance” by Daniella Silver with Norene Gilletz with permission of ArtScroll/Mesorah Publications, LTD.