1½ cups flour
(or gluten-free flour
with xanthum gum)
¼ cup sugar
¾ cup vegetable oil
1½ Tbsp white vinegar
½ cup sugar
1 cup corn syrup
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1½-3 cups pecan halves, divided
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly coat an 11-inch flan pan with removable bottom (or a 10-inch glass quiche dish) with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Crust: In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, oil, and vinegar; mix to form a soft dough.
3. Press crust mixture evenly against bottom and sides of prepared pan (see Norene’s Notes, below).
4. Filling: In a large bowl, combine eggs, sugar, corn syrup, salt, and vanilla. Mix well. Stir in half the pecans. Spoon filling into crust.
5. Arrange remaining pecans in a circular pattern on top of pie.
6. Bake 50-55 minutes, or until set and edges of crust are golden brown. Let cool before serving.
Place pie plate on a foil-lined rimmed baking sheet to catch any spills.
Variation: Chocolate Pecan Pie: Add 1 cup chocolate chips to filling along with pecans.
Go Nuts: Pecans have a natural sweetness. Store them in the refrigerator or freezer for maximum freshness.
Reproduced from Silver Platter Simple Elegance by Daniella Silver with Norene Gilletz with permission from the copyright holders ArtScroll/Mesorah Publications, LTD.